You’ve come this far—you’ve gotten accepted to USC! I’m yes 1st thing on your mind now is ways to challenge you to ultimately the fullest extent throughout your four years as a Trojan. Ok, ok, maybe researching Honors Programs at USC just isn’t the first thing on your to-do list (you’re busy applying for housing and ordering football tickets, right?) So, we thought we would bring the information to you! Here you will find the details on two honors choices at USC: Freshman Science Honors and Thematic Option.
The Freshman Science Honors Program, or FSH, supplies a rigorous yet personalized experience for first 12 months students within the natural sciences. As opposed to taking the typical freshmen 12 months science courses, FSH pupils take an advanced version of these classes which have both a smaller lecture and conversation section. This fosters a more experience that is hands-on labs, more individualized attention from faculty, and a more collaborative environment amongst FSH Scholars. FSH also extends beyond the classroom, supplying opportunities for field trips, guest lectures, etc.
Austin Carter, a sophomore majoring in Biological Sciences, took part in FSH and says he initially applied because he ‘was excited about working with a smaller group of people’ and ‘thrives off collaboration.’ He definitely unearthed that teamwork through FSH: ‘Through collaborating on labs or studying for tests, our work that is hard brought together.’ He also notes that a study trip to Catalina ‘offered an opportunity to really get to understand one another outside the classroom setting.’ To learn more, including exactly how to apply, please visit submit an application for FSH . casinopokies777.com Please note that the 2013 due date is April tenth, and to meet the requirements, you must be a declared natural technology major.
Thematic Option, or even TO as it is referred to on campus, is really a system that replaces USC’s General Education curriculum by having an core curriculum that is interdisciplinary. While not a humanities program per say, inside is very reading and writing intensive, so students signing up to this program should be prepared for this type of rigor. This program is probably not for you if you don’t LOVE reading and writing. Like FSH, TO provides students by having a smaller learning environment which permits greater connection amongst students and faculty.
Aaron Brown, Associate Director of Admission, took part in TO when he had been a pupil at USC. Aaron says that TO ‘became a great way to shrink this big institution to a more manageable size’ and says it provided him with an excellent community of like-minded pupils. Aaron claims their favorite TO course ended up being Core 102 that he took their first semester of college themed ‘The Hero’s Journey.’ He says one instance that sticks out is when the class invested a period that is entire just two paragraphs of Heart of Darkness. Aaron claims it was a ‘wow, this is college’ moment for him. Aaron also got a trip to Disneyland from the experience during his Core 101 course when they were studying Mickey Mouse as an icon that is cultural. He notes that as a freshman brand new to Los Angeles, ‘these were invaluable possibilities to explore this great city.’
To learn more on how to apply, please visit deciding on Thematic Option . Please note that just admitted students meet the criteria to utilize therefore the deadline is April 10th.
These are simply two of the several choices students have for pursuing honors at USC. One could also receive departmental honors by completing a thesis that is honors their senior year. Please check out the following links for info on other honors programs at USC: Dornsife Honors Prorgrams, Viterbi Honors, Renaissance Scholars, worldwide Scholars, Discovery Scholars, McNair Scholars, Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellowship.
Remember that even that you will still be receiving an invigorating and intellectually challenging education at one of the world’s premier research institutions if you do not complete any of the aforementioned programs during your time at USC, rest assured. Fight up on!
I Enjoy LA!
In the couple that is next, recently admitted students, along with big waves of prospective students on their spring breaks, will be visiting our campus. Because Mid-March through April is our busiest time for site visitors, visitors should make their reservations early. Please click on the following helpful links for here is how to register for the campus visit:
We have invested the last few months reading thousands of files, so we are primed for a few student relationship and we are very excited to meet all of you! While I’m sure that there will be happening that is plenty campus, we wanted to emphasize several things about this stunning town that I adore. I have already been residing in la for the last 9 years and you can still find things I have not done, but this may be a personal ‘Must See’ list that I’ve compiled for LA visitors. You are hoped by me enjoy!
1) Let’s Take A Ride: For my everyday drive, I just take the Metro Expo Line to the office. Since its opening in Spring 2012, USC students were able to simply take this train to Culver City in western LA or to Downtown. You are invited by me to do the same! Culver City is just a place that is great restaurants, museums and theaters. If you ride the Expo Line going in the opposite way, you will be able to savor LA Live- house of the Nokia Theatre, the GRAMMY museum and several more restaurants. Right door that is next The Staples Center, where the Lakers play ( plus some other NBA group that no one caresabout). After that, you can feel free to explore the rest of Downtown LA and all it has to offer! There are three stops near our campus it is therefore extremely accessible. The fare is cheapand it takes 20 minutes or less getting to either destination. Talk of a way that is great avoid traffic!
2) Why see the global globe, when you’ve got the BEACH!: I possibly couldnot have a ‘Must See’ list about LA without mentioning the coastline! Venice is often popular with this visitors because of most of the social people watching you can do. I prefer less crowded beaches like Playa or Santa Monica, but whatever perhaps you are into the mood for, you can’t visit Los Angeles without hitting the waves!
3) hear this!: My personal thing that is favorite LA is the amount and variety of live music you can expose yourself to. We love going to big concerts at my venue that is favorite Greek Theatre, to look at musicians like Jason Mraz or Phoenix. If I wish to buy something more intimate, I am able to always check out up and coming singer/songwriters at places like Room 5 or The Witzend.
4) an increased Rested Place: we wasn’t going to consist of restaurants in this post, but this is a new favorite, so I had to produce an exception. Perch restaurant is a French inspired bistro located in the center of downtown Los Angeles. It bears its name mostly you an unobstructed 360 degree view of the city because it sits on a rooftop and gives. I highly recommend taking your loved ones right here for Sunday brunch with some live music
5) A Lesson ever sold: Olvera Street could be the oldest component associated with the city. Just take the Expo Line from campus and then the line that is connecting Union facility. In about 50 % an hour, you certainly will find yourself surrounded by historic structures and a traditional style that is mexican with plenty of places to eat and shop. Spend a couple hours appreciating the architectural beauty and learning about its traditions.
I hope some of you arrive at visit a few of these accepted places and inform us what you think if you do!